Tron 2.0 Binary Model Converter v1.0

All about Maps, Mods & Creating them
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Tron 2.0 Binary Model Converter v1.0

Post by Kain-Xavier »

So you may have noticed that I have been doing some more mod work for Tron 2.0, namely the Legacy disc skins.

But that's not the only thing...

For the last three months or so, I've been working on a program that converts LTB models into LTA. The significance of this is that LTA files are human-readable and they can be loaded in ModelEdit. We will finally have access to all character and weapon models rather than just the ones Monolith released with the SDK. Better still, it also works with Xbox models. :D

Now, there is still some work to be done before I feel comfortable releasing it. I also want to go open source with the program so I will need to type up some documentation and legal crap. However, fingers-crossed, I hope to have that done by this weekend or some time early next week.

I want you to go nuts with the program (and report any bugs you find) but also keep in mind that whatever can be adapted probably will be for the Killer App mod. It has always been my intention to incorporate everything Tron into Tron 2.0 and make the PC version, the definitive version.

Two more things...

- Here's a video of a converted model in ModelEdit:

- I do plan on doing more work like this but that will be far into the future. If you want to save me time, please create a plug-in for Bender that allows you to import and export LTA models. :p
Last edited by Kain-Xavier on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Potential mod tool

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Very awesome! I'll check more into this when I'm home and can view streaming media. Tc)

Great work on the Legacy disc skins! They look great!

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Wow! Very nice work!
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Kain-Xavier »

This is Ben.

Ben is dancing.

Ben is dancing because he just met a new program on the Grid that taught him how.

And he can't stop.

Hopefully, you'll get to meet this new program tomorrow.
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

LOL
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Kain-Xavier »

And here's that program now...

http://iamkainx.com/personal/TBMC_1x0.zip (GREETINGS)

Enjoy guys!

It's console-based but TronFAQ was kind enough to write a GUI you can use too.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you come across anything that cannot be converted or you do not believe is converting correctly.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Tron 2.0 Binary Model Converter v1.0

Post by deeahchur »

Awesome! Thanks for the hard work!

Td)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Yeah really awesome work. A holy grail of new possibilities now. I have not found any models that won't convert. I tried a NOLF2 model, it also worked.

Was also able to import the models back into Maya 6. I did need to save them once in ModelEdit first though. Otherwise not all the geometry will import correctly into Maya.

I've got one the tools I needed... now what to do???? Tv| T/|
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Kain-Xavier »

deeachur: Thank you! I hope it can be of some use. :)

Zook: Your mileage may vary with NOLF2 models. There are some slight differences between what NOLF2 expects and what's actually in the LTB's used for Tron 2.0.

Regarding importing the models into Maya, I have a hunch that that may have to do with the lack of normals. I can easily add that back in for PC models but it will take a little more work for Xbox models. (It's still do-able though.)

Another possibility is the lack of bones for vertex-animated meshes. Monolith did not provide us with any LTA's that contain vertex-animated meshes so I am relying solely on the NOLF2 source to serve as my guide. I may need to throw in some kind of place-holder value for each vertex weight.

Also, in regards to tools you need, what else are you looking for?

I plan on learning Python and creating a Blender import / export plug-in next, but I am open to suggestions.

One thought that crossed my mind was creating a program that reads mesh UV's from an LTA and outputs a 512 x 512 texture complete with wireframe. (Those 64 x 64 Xbox textures make me very sad.)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

I already corresponded with K-X heavily, even before he announced his program to the public. But I'd just like to congratulate him again, on his program. It's one of the breakthroughs we needed, in order to advance certain projects to the next level. Td)
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Kain-Xavier wrote:deeachur: Thank you! I hope it can be of some use. :)

Also, in regards to tools you need, what else are you looking for?

I plan on learning Python and creating a Blender import / export plug-in next, but I am open to suggestions.

One thought that crossed my mind was creating a program that reads mesh UV's from an LTA and outputs a 512 x 512 texture complete with wireframe. (Those 64 x 64 Xbox textures make me very sad.)
I've been trying to get this guy to add .DTX thumbnail support for Win7 as part of his MysticThumbs program. I'm still hoping he'll come through on this for the next update. No .DTX support in Win7 makes managing texture maps difficult. Particualry for me becuase I've started applying 90% of my textures in 3dsMax instead of Dedit.

A .DAT world map decomplier would be nice too... :P

As far as the Texture tool, this is not too necessary. I have a tool that does this from 3dsMax. Not sure the name of it off hand though. I'll double check tonight and let you know. Of course you need to get the LTA into Max, which needs to pass through Maya first. My workflows are Cr@p :)
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Kain-Xavier »

zook_one wrote:I've been trying to get this guy to add .DTX thumbnail support for Win7 as part of his MysticThumbs program. I'm still hoping he'll come through on this for the next update. No .DTX support in Win7 makes managing texture maps difficult. Particualry for me becuase I've started applying 90% of my textures in 3dsMax instead of Dedit.
Are you just looking to preview the image in Windows Explorer or actually open the file? The NOLF2 source comes with a DTX viewer tool which runs fine in Windows 7 64-bit. It won't show previews in Windows Explorer but you'll be able to view each texture, its alpha, and the LOD's for both. The NOLF2 source also comes with a DTX converter program but I've found it to be flaky.

It looks like the MysticThumbs program supports plug-ins but if I'm going to write a DTX plug-in, I'd rather it be for a fully-fledged image editing suite like GIMP first. I'll keep it in mind for you though.
zook_one wrote:A .DAT world map decomplier would be nice too... :P
Question, do you know if DAT files are mostly geometry data? If so, they may be similar to prefab LTB's which are structured differently than characters or weapons but are at least well-documented in the NOLF2 source.

Another question, and please forgive my ignorance here, do the retail maps feature content that is otherwise inaccessible? If so, that is definitely something I want to look into.
zook_one wrote:Of course you need to get the LTA into Max, which needs to pass through Maya first. My workflows are Cr@p :)
Yeah, I'm sorry you have to jump through so many hoops right now. That's one of the things I would like to change if at all possible.
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Yes I'm trying to get .DTX thumbnail support in file explorer

.DAT files hold lots of info, geometry (World Model Format), texture reference, animations data for any keyframer elements, maybe lighting info too.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

.DAT files are compressed worlds, LTA, LTB, etc. They are generally created when you prepare the world to run from the Custom folder.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G