Vista Woes

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
AnimeMasta
Registered users
Registered users

Vista Woes

Post by AnimeMasta »

Gah! I finally upgraded my pc, installed vista etc, got everything up and running only to find out that I cant play any online games! I've tried turning the firewall off and the AV isn't blocking anything either. I can play the sp aspect of tron or any other game fine it's just that when I try to go multiplayer it wont let me connect. Is there a setting somewhere that I missed to allow connections through?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

I was going to recommend replacing the Vista built-in firewall with Sunbelt Kerio, but I see they still don't have a Vista compatible version yet. Man, that sucks. I'm going to be switching to Vista soon, myself.

There's a program called Vista Firewall Control that lets you more easily manage Vista's built-in firewall. There's a completely free version, and a trial version with more advanced features. I'll leave it up to you to decide which version you want.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

This program might help you with your problem.
AnimeMasta
Registered users
Registered users

Post by AnimeMasta »

Hmm... thanks for that link, I had a look at that program..

Although, since I tried loading a multiplayer game without the firewall turned on, woudn't that mean that theres another problem?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

AnimeMasta wrote:Although, since I tried loading a multiplayer game without the firewall turned on, woudn't that mean that theres another problem?
Probably, yeah. But I thought it's best to start with Vista's firewall first. Maybe it's blocking outbound traffic, in some cases. Even though it's supposed to be turned off. Because games use non-standard ports that might look suspicious. If you can determine for sure that it's not the firewall, then you can move on to other potential causes.

If it's not the firewall, I can't really see it being your router (if you have one). Switching to a new computer and Vista should have no effect on a router.

I've read that some anti-virus programs are now also starting to block ports as a way of shutting down trojans and spyware. You might want to try temporarily disabling your anti-virus as well, if you have one installed.

Finding a good free firewall for Vista right now seems to be a tough proposition, but if you want to replace Vista's firewall with something better you could try Comodo.

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I tried an earlier version of it once. It was definitely great for a free firewall. But I found the user interface a bit too complex and cluttered for my taste. The popups when programs try to access the internet, were also a bit annoying to me. Because it never seemed to remember my previous answers.
AnimeMasta
Registered users
Registered users

Post by AnimeMasta »

I've already tried without the firewall or antivirus running and it dosen't make a difference. I'll try hooking my pc to the internet without the router later.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Maybe your PC is not known by the router. Routers can forward internal IPs to a PC. If something went wrong there could be the problem. I (am forced to) use Vista on my Laptop, but never had any prob with online gaming so far.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

It's beginning to sound like it's the router, yep.

Did you make sure your new PC's LAN IP and settings in Vista were identical to the ones you had on your previous computer? Or are you using the router's DHCP function to automatically assign an IP to the computer? Are you using the router's UPnP feature? (Doesn't sound like it, and I don't recommend it either.)

I guess we'll find out if the router is the culprit, once you directly connect the PC to the modem.
AnimeMasta
Registered users
Registered users

Post by AnimeMasta »

Ok, this is really starting to annoy me. It's not the router, its not the firewall, and its not the antivirus. I'm thinking of making a dual boot with XP just so I can get stuff to work again. CoolSun
Last edited by AnimeMasta on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Right now I'm typing this message on my brand new computer. I finally got all the parts I needed, in order to build it.

Funny enough, I assembled the computer properly on the first try. Worked perfectly! It was a bit of a headache to put together, but it all worked on the first boot.

Vista, on the other hand . . . holy crap, man. What a freaking headache it's been! I thought I was upgrading, but I almost wonder if I downgraded instead. PDT_Armataz_01_27

I'm using the 64-bit Ultimate version, and it took 3 installs to finally get everything stable and working properly. Even worse, I think I've run into a similar problem as you did, Anime. Vista just does not like my router. No matter what I did, I wasn't able to connect to the internet through the router. So I've had to temporarily disconnect it until I can figure out what's going on. I've read that many people have been having problems with Vista refusing to work with their router. Wonderful. :?
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

they "upgraded" me to Vista at work. 32-Bit Enterprise Version. I F-ing hate it! my Microsoft Keyboard is no longer supported! the driver for my Graphics card has no Open GL support - its an FIREGL CARD for god sakes! I will be sticking with XP pro when I build my next machine.

-Z
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Well, I solved my router problem. And I'm slowly getting everything set up properly in Vista. Still having a problem getting my sound card drivers to install, though.

There are some things I like about Vista, now that I'm using it. But there are also a lot of things I don't like.
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Oh there are things I like. But it ain't worth having other stuff broken for.
AnimeMasta
Registered users
Registered users

Post by AnimeMasta »

Well, got XP dual boot up and running, so I'm back on the grid :???:

Kinda annoys me that I have to 'upgrade' back to XP to be able to play online again.