TRON Evolution Troubleshooting

Got something to say about Tron Evolution?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

TRON Evolution Troubleshooting

Post by TronFAQ »

So I managed to get the game a bit early. I'm not going to comment on the quality of it or what I think of the gameplay until I finish the Single Player game.

But what I did want to do is post a thread about troubleshooting the PC version of TRON Evolution in case anyone has any problems.

Evolution is your average console port, maybe slightly above average. At least the game gives you options to change all of your control settings for the keyboard and mouse, which a lot of console ports screw up. But it's not perfect. For example, I've discovered that you can't use more than 3 mouse buttons. Which sucks. Though perhaps I just haven't figured out the proper tweak.

Also, I'm hearing that the game won't let you set the resolution higher than 1680x1050 without again having to do some tweaking. Which is pretty idiotic.

You need to edit the GridEngine.ini file, and look for ResX and ResY entries under [SystemSettings]. Changing those will allow you to set any resolution you want. The .ini is located in My Documents > Disney Interactive Studios > Tron Evolution > UnrealEngine3 > GridGame > Config.

The game uses PhysX for its physics simulation. It's set to use the CPU for physics, by default. But if you have a powerful enough Nvidia card, you can change a setting to allow PhysX to run on the GPU. Again, the entry you need to edit is in GridEngine.ini, this time under [Engine.Engine]. Look for bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport and set it to False.

Like most Unreal engine games, it doesn't support Anti-Aliasing by default. You have to force it to work, and you'll need tools like Nvidia Inspector or RadeonPro to do it. For RadeonPro, you'll probably have to use the Force Anti-Aliasing Profile feature after setting up Evolution to work with it (GridGame.exe is the game exectuable to choose under the Triggers tab) and choose Unreal as the profile. While with Nvidia Inspector, you'll need to edit the pre-defined Evolution profile to use the executable GridGame.exe and set the Antialiasing Compatibility flag to the value 0x000100C5.

I simply haven't had enough time to do more snooping, but I'll probably come up with some more things you can tweak later.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: TRON Evolution Troubleshooting

Post by TronFAQ »

I forgot to mention how you can disable the startup movies. The game shows videos (logos, etc.) every freaking time you start the game, and you can't skip them.

Edit the GridEngine.ini file, and change the following lines under [FullScreenMovie] so they have a semicolon in front of them. Like this.

Code: Select all

;StartupMovies=Unreal
;StartupMovies=GamestarLogo
;StartupMovies=PropagandaLogo
;StartupMovies=DisneyLogo
;StartupMovies=Sc1_01_01
UserProgram
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Green
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by UserProgram »

Thanks for the tip on the movies! That was drivin me nuts! I'm almost finished dying, in other words I've almost beat the game! :)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

It turns out that the game's .ini files might be set to Read-Only. So that whenever you try to change the control preferences, the game will not save them when you quit. You'll find that the controls have been reset to defaults the next time you play.

If that's the case, simply right click the Config folder in Windows Explorer, choose Properties, and uncheck Read-Only under Attributes.
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hey Tronfaq,

Thank god you posted this. I have been going crazy trying to get Tron Evolution to work. It worked badly on my old laptop, but now that I have a new tower with a much better video card I wanted to try it out again. I barely played it sinceit played so bad on my laptop. Apparently there was some development issues with the dvd's and after I click on PLAY I get a black screen. "It says VGA mode not supported." I have tried different resolutions, but not alll of them. I also bought a hdmi cable and tried veiwing it that way on a seperate channel. It shows me an extension of my desktop as if I am projecting onto two monitors.

This is getting really annoying. I know Tron 2.0 is better, but I wanted to at least mess around with it. I am going to try some of what you have mentined here and see what happens. By the way, just in case you want to know I am using a 32" AOC Envision series TV and everything else worked just fine. All my games and even Tron 2.0 when I was connecting the laptop through the VGA cable, but now that I have a more up to date tower with a better video card, windows 7, etc. No dice.

Thanks for the tips - will try.

Be well.

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

"the only clear view is atop the mountain of your dead selves...." Peter j Parroll

"that which does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hi all,

Okay - If I set my resolution up around 1600 or 1900 I can now see the game, but I have to do it through the HDMI cable/channel. Only one problem - no sound..... T-[

I have looked up some fixes with no luck at them so far. If anyone knows what to do it would be very appreciated.

Be well,

Techro |___| __o-o

p.s. User Error, Custom Maps and Tron editing tools are now installed and successfully running on my new tower which boasts a new Nvidia GTX560 grfx card!! T-]
Techro |___| __o-o

"the only clear view is atop the mountain of your dead selves...." Peter j Parroll

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

From what I can tell, one of the most common suggestions is to make sure your sound is set to Stereo. Not 5.1 or 7.1 Surround. A lot of TVs won't accept anything but Stereo over HDMI.

Other suggestions are to change the volume on the computer, and also check the Nvidia control panel for a setting that enables HDMI sound output on the video card.
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

FInally!

OK - I got it after all. I have to run the game at 1600 x 1024 res. with Windows Default sounds activate and then I can play it on my HDMI channel.

Thanks for your help and suggestions! T-]

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Does Tron Evolution work in Windows 8? Sort-of. The version of Games for Windows Live on the install disc is outdated. The game won't even start with the old version installed.

GfWL 3.5 Download link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updating GfWL to the latest version (3.5 at this time) allows the game to start, but it's still not working properly because you won't be able to sign into your Live account. Thus, you can't save your games or do anything else that requires Live.

Microsoft needs to update GfWL to work with Win 8. Then Tron Evolution will work 100% properly again. As it stands, you can play the single player game, but it's pointless unless you can save your progress. Multiplayer doesn't work at all at the moment.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Long and boring, but it shows whatever roadblocks I hit (if any) attempting to get both games to run.
Kain-Xavier
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Kain-Xavier »

Thanks for taking the time to look into that and creating a video, TronFAQ!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I found a solution in getting TRON Evolution to work properly on Windows 8. Someone made a newer version of the Games for Windows Live client available, than what's on Microsoft's web site.

After uninstalling GfWL and installing the even newer version, GfWL now works again. You can save your progress, get achievements, play Multiplayer, etc.

I've updated the video and its description with a download link to the newer GfWL client. Turns out that Microsoft included it with their MS Flight game, but couldn't be bothered to post the up-to-date version on their web site. T-p
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

Microsoft, what lazy SOBs. T-p
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I posted an updated video about getting TRON Evolution to work on Windows 10 Technical Preview, which also applies to Windows 8/8.1. (Win 10 is barely any different from 8 at this early stage).

It can be found in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;