Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Map - "Appropriated" - build progress - 12.1%

Post by HangmanEXE »

[Edited] - 10/05/2011
deleted - New build in progress
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 am, edited 7 times in total.
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Map Progress Thread - Download Failed - 41% Complete

Post by HangmanEXE »

[Edited] - 10/05/2011
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by deeahchur »

I took a look at it as an LTA file in DEdit, since I'm having issues running a world from DEdit and my WinRezLT isn't working right, either.

I like what I saw. The scale of the map is pretty good for what is shown in the map, though I kept feeling as though there was something more off to the left and right. I was probably looking at the Detail = False brush and mistaking that for the level bounding box. Given that, though, I wouldn't mind for distance along the energy stream for how far the tugs have to travel.

Will there be a way to cross over to the other side of the map? One suggestion would be to make the receiving stations utilize the data ports on either end with some traversable geometry. Maybe the stations span both sides and can receive/launch both tugs.

The interior structure of the cargo containers is well done, though I feel a little too open for when combat will take place inside them. I imagine more data blocks will go in there, as well as archive bins with downloadables.

I do hope the towers will have interior geometry to explore and to have a way to reach the hangman's platform. :)

That's it for now. I look forward to the progress!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

From inside Dedit the complexity of geometry looks good.

I can't get your map running in the engine well either, becuase the processing time is really long. Plus I all elements are do not have the textures applied. When I skipped the lighting processing I was able to create a .dat of your map. However when I ran the map, I spawned in the air and fell to my death.

Your map is taking a really long time to process the lighting solution. How long does it take on you computer?

I suggest you revist this. perhaps "freeze" all the lighting you have ( and don't process frozen elements) start with a simple solution cut an past from one of the sampe maps. See if this improves your processing time.

Also, you are heavily using the "lightmap" surface lighting style. Light maps should be used very sparingly if possible. This could help as well.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Long processing time can happen due to the use of large polies. There are some. Also T-junctions should be avoided, short polies and non-planar. All those can be points for long processing time (and those things can be found in the map). If these get fixed, the processing time will dramatically change, plus: if you set an individual lightning for brush-groups/-constructions, you can also reduce the amount of lightning calculation (just as an example: my current map has ~30000 polies, but just needs a process time of ~28 secs completely).
blog
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

[Edited] - 10/05/2011
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

T-Junctions:

(click for larger view)
(A) shows a t-junction situation, three polies are connected
(B) shows how this can be handled, as one poly gets split
(B) shows a better solution (which also removes one poly -> less to calculate during render process)
HangmanEXE wrote:Individual lighting for groups? How can this be done? I assumed that the surface would interact with any light objects in rage regardless-unless set to not take light.
I was talking about the 'LightControl' under the props of a Brush. You can put several brushes inside in a 'Container', that's what i called a 'group'. And about the lightning: under LightControl you have several props. In most cases (and especially for Tron-styled maps) you don't need all of them, so for example ClipLight, CastShadowMesh or ReceiveShadows. At least i turn these off and it still has a suitabe Tron style, but there is much less to process. But it depends on what you want to create.
For surfaces/brushes that should glow, you could turn of all, because you would not see any light effect on something that acts like a light, right? Saving again some processing time.
HangmanEXE wrote:as for small textures, that HAS to be my highlight strips texture, as I can off top of my head remember that it was a very small texture. So replace it with a larger rescaled version of the same texture?
You miss-read that, i was talking about small polies, not textures. So about the faces that made up a brush, and you have some that are smaller then the smallest grid unit (1). This is something that should be avoided.
HangmanEXE wrote:...lol, just reading how you explained my use of non-plainer polies confused me, lol.
Well,it is hard to explain, just with plain words, so maybe this graphic helps:
(click for larger view)

As you can see this is just one poly with four verticies. But in the second exmaple, one vertex is not on the same 'plane' as the other. This 'breaks' the surface, and the renderer has to deal with this, which can create different kinds of problems.
blog
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

[Edited] - 10/05/2011
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

You can just do simple, straight cuts. To make anything different, for sure you have to do several cuts. I made a simple example with three cuts create a 'curved' cut. Look below (some words for this example are below the image):

(click for larger view)

1) Base shape (we are in brush mode)
2) first cut (space -> draw line -> space -> key 's')
3) result
4) second cut
5) result
6) third cut (the path we want to go, is defined now)
7) result
8) selected two polies and doing a cut
9) result
10) selected another two polies and doing a cut
11) result and we switch into geometry mode. then we hover with the mouse those edges being marked. if the are highlighted green in dedit, they can be manipulated. we use key 'p' to remove those three marked edges. removing 'fusionates' both polies into one.
12) the finalresult. just 4 polies and a curved cut.
HangmanEXE wrote:WHERE do you guys get this stuff from??? Dedit graphic dispIays??
I created them a few minutes ago, when i made the previous post. And before this question is ask: yes i made the upper graphics also right now. So there is no source included i could name, sorry.
HangmanEXE wrote:(I dont have any other modeling software to make stuff in then import it.)
I at least use no other modeling application then dedit. All i made so far (and i still make) is done just in dedit, so a lot of stuff is possible.
blog
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Re: MP Derez Map Progress - Appropriated - 12.1%

Post by HangmanEXE »

Greetings Programs

As stated in my Sark Carrier Thread, I am now starting rebuild work on a salvaged/and-or/ total rebuild of this VERY old map project.

With my previous map skills "TOTAL CRAP", I have decided to scrap what I had from before. An thanks to my bud Deeachur making a starting build on my original design which is PERFECTLY to scale as a starting point I am now going ot do a rebuild of this map except basing it on my original idea I had on paper from about 2 years ago...
TRON 2,0 Map Concept - Appropriated.jpg
While building this I am keeping the maps [ORIGINAL IDEA] key features in mind while doing construction and/or reconstruction of this map idea.

Here is the new basic idea behind the map.

This map takes place in the early time period of the ever-expanding MCP's attempts to acquire more resources.
A very small system; yours; and its functions are being appropriated by the MCP, you are part of this forcibly seized data.
BUT! You and several of your fellow programs decide to take up arms with whatever skills that you can muster to defend your system and take a stand to stop the MCP from taking this sector of the remaining free system.... An you plan to do so to the last program processing...

Try to destroy the MCP's champion gaming/fighting programs while the MCP's champion units at the same time attempt to subdue this uprising of conscripts to capture this system for the MCP.

Here is the new basic idea for the layout.

[As before, the map will feature 2 areas both seperated by a large data transfer beam "canyon" that players can cross via two automated Transport Tugs on BOTH sides -[one red/MCP and one Blue Free system tug] each within sniping range + each tug will have a switch that lowers BOTH tugs forcefield walls so players passing one another can snipe as they pass another tug] - tugs move in opp directions at all times.

The Packet Transport Tugs are now being completly rebuilt from the ground up using the LDSO's shared PERFECT TRON film Recognizer build as the starting point for the new shape building for the tug itself-[ instead of those crappy basic recgonizers from the SP game]. I will try to incorperate as much of the look of the standard tugs body as possible while also improving on its geometry.-[which wont be hard with as many errors as it had, lol]

The faction sides are now a...

MCP RED side
- Features-
- RED IC guard points, Red Neutral Bots, MCP Red IC secrezers and a few tanks in key positions + Red Null Unit Monitor
- Tanks monitoring offloading areas of packet transport tugs watching for possible conscripts

Free System Blue side. Each will be a mirror of the other side will only minor cosmetic differences. Blue side will feature color edited versions of the textures used on the red side.
- Features-
- Blue [alan pc] IC guard points, Blue Neutral Bots, Free System Blue [alan pc] IC secrezers and a few tanks in key positions + Blue Null Unit Monitor
- Tanks monitoring offloading areas of packet transport tugs watching for possible MCP scripts

Basicly this will fill like a digital warzone, which is how one would assume is what is happening when a system is fighting another systems programs to control a single program or a specific system resource.

An being more designed for fast quick kills, it might attract us more players back to the game if we have something new an shiny that these kind of players would go for.

Here is pics of current progress...

Stage Building. As you can see, my buddy Deeachur did a mindscramble on me an out of nowhere did a PERFECT rebuild of this stages beginning building points; an to scale I might add with my original design pic. This will help me considerable to start me back off rebuilding the map, but now going off my original non altered design idea for the level building! - Thanks Again DEE!
Image2.JPG
Here is a pic of my current progress on my new tug build...
Image3.JPG
-Edit- [corrected information on the name of the creator of the recognizer model. My app to the models author.]

As you can see I used the Recognizer made by Boomer that FAQ added into the Dedit tools pack.
I used Boomers "PERFECT" film accurate recognizer for this new tugs scale. Which I know in my last post here I had stated that I was going to use my GBA recognizers, but whit Dee surprising me with a build of my original design. I felt this would work better considering the time the map takes place in.
Currently I am about 55-65% done with the rebuild of the tug from the ground up. I still need to add in some detail cuts, glow settings, my original back rampway up to the 2nd level -[80% cut], an throw in alot of blocks for cover while shooting/fighting inside the tug.

But the tug itself is not too far from being done atm. Then work can begin on the map layout itself.

I post an Progress Update again ASAP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Derez Map Progress - Appropriated - 12.1%

Post by TronFAQ »

Just for the record: nobody in LDSO made that Recognizer. It was made by a fellow going by the nickname Boomer. He was kind enough to share his Recognizer and some other prefabs several years back. I decided to add them to the tools installer, to beef up the pitiful selection of prefabs that originally came with the tools.

Looking forward to seeing more of this map. :D
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

My appologies Boomer, I didnt know.

Above post corrected to include credit to the models creator, an his name has been added to my maps thank you list for credit/help.
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

I love the pic of a hand-drawn map concept.
It makes me want to locate my User Error notebook.
Man... that' thing's a valuable artifact for me now.
This space intentionally left blank.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

This map will now take a back-burner for my Games Domain map build to go along with my HD Carrier build.

I will still be working on it, but I plan to focus on my HD Games Domain map for the moment.